Check out @Roro#9227 's DIY kit build log
Custom Coiled Cable Build Log (DIY Kit from JustKeys.my)
Keyboard : CM Novatouch w/ Norbauer Aerospace Aluminium Norbatouch Case Keycaps : EnjoyPBT 9009 R2 from KBDfans
Cables : White Techflex + White Paracord w/ GX-16 Aviator Connector
( 7 inches coil | 4 ft straight cables | USB-A to Micro-USB | DIY KIT )
A simple box with Justkeys logo. The sticker was perfectly aligned and centered. *I actually did measure it lol.
Loving the free Pepe stickers. *No free tic tac in my order tho :(
The kit i ordered comes with :
- Techflex PET sleeving (White)
- Double shielded USB 2.0 w/ 28 AWG conductors
- 550 paracord sleeving (White)
- Heatshrink (Black) - Host Connector (USB-A)
- Device Connector (Micro-USB)
- Aviator Connector (GX16 / 4-Pin / Male & Female pair)
Some essential tools that i use :
- Soldering iron (Hakko FX888D)
- Soldering lead (0.8mm 60/40 rosin core lead) *ran out of kester leads so i just use Daiso one)
- Rod / Drumstick / Wooden Dowel (1/2 inch)
- Vinyl Electrical Tape / Hose clamp
- Wire cutter / Nipper / Scissor / Hobby knife / Tweezers / Screwdriver
- Heatgun / Hairdryer (Not in the picture)
- Helping hands tool (Not in the picture)
- Lighter (Not in the picture)
Sleeving paracord / techflex can be relaxing and annoying at the same time.
Secure the cable with vinyl tape and hose clamp.
Hardest part of this project was actually coiling the cable. You need to put in a lot of pressure.. like a lot when coiling to ensure consistent and tight coils around the rod.
*Good coils cost a lot (my phone won't recognize my right thumbprint anymore)
Time to heat it with heatgun or hairdryer.
*remember not to heat the same spot for too long, else it will melt the techflex. Small part of my coil actually melted for a bit :(
Definitely not perfect but i'm satisfied with the result as my initial attempt.
Special shout out to Jordan Lim from Justkeys.my , for offering all the useful tips and guidance in building my very first custom cable.
*This is not a sponsored post, but feel free to head over their website if you feel like getting a Custom Coiled Cable like this locally for your keyboard, or perhaps sourcing some parts to build your own cable.
P.S. : They also craft some beautiful artisan / custom keycaps (support Made in Malaysia :)
Additionally, shout out to CruzCtrl channel on YouTube for providing easy to learn Videos / Tutorials in DIY custom cable.
Thanks for checking out this post.